The Ductless Mini Split AC System, Keep Your Home Cool And EfficientJuly 1, 2019
How to Increase Your Energy Efficiency and Reduce Your Utility Bills with the Right AC UnitSeptember 9, 2019
Summer is coming to an end. Though there are still plenty of backyard barbeques and late nights out on the horizon, home maintenance is making its way to the top of the seasonal to-do list. While many homeowners simply pack up their air conditioners for winter storage (either in the garage or the basement), those with mini split AC systems have to put in a bit more effort to prepare for the coming cold. Let’s take a look at what you’ll have to do this fall to ensure your ductless system is ready for winter.
- Airflow: Heat pumps require free airflow to the indoor and outdoor coils. Each year, you should remove and clean the air filter inside the indoor air-handling unit (AHU). The outdoor cabinet should also be inspected for airflow obstructions.
- Cleaning: Deep-clean the coils to remove debris and contaminants. This has the dual benefit of preventing mold and mildew growth as well as ensuring efficient heating and cooling.
- Refrigerant: Check to make sure that the refrigerant lines, coils, and flare connections aren’t leaking.
- Drainage: If clear drainage is not maintained, water leaks and other damage can occur. Flush your drain lines (treating them, if necessary) to clear and inhibit algae and mold growth.
- Electrical contacts: Wear and tear can cause serious problems when wiring is involved. Check the unit’s wiring and contacts; if ice has formed on the outdoor coil or indoor coil, there is an issue.
- Compression: This is one area that only a professional should handle. Schedule a visit from a general contractor to inspect and test the unit’s digital inverter-driven compressors, electronic expansion valves (EEV), and sophisticated sensors.
Two-thirds of all U.S. homes have air conditioners. Mini split AC systems are versatile in that they become heating systems in the winter. Only through proper care and maintenance can they switch between the two so seamlessly; if you do your due diligence and tend to the health of your mini split ductless systems, you won’t have to worry about the cold or the heat.
Carlson Duluth can take care of your mini split AC system inspection needs. Go to http://carlsonduluth.com/ today to schedule a visit today.