Plumbing, when it goes wrong, can be the bane of any homeowner’s existence. Bad plumbing can lead to serious clogs, water damage, and expensive repairs. But there is a simple way to prevent all these catastrophes: invest in quality plumbing services before the problems happen. So here are 10 practices you can put into practice right away to protect your plumbing. Follow this advice and you won’t need a plumber anytime soon.
1. Stop your money from going down the drain.
You can save a lot of money simply by putting a drain strainer in your shower for the Rapunzel in your home with a seemingly limitless supply of loose hair. These clogs can lead to serious damage and unnecessary plumbing services, but they can also be easily prevented.
2. Turn off your water supply if you are going to be away from your home for a long period of time.
This primarily applies to the winter months. You don’t want your water pipes to freeze and ruin your home while you’re on vacation!
3. Always know exactly where in your house you go to turn off the water in case of emergency.
4. If your toilet’s handle jiggles, then you most likely need to replace the part. It is a cheap replacement, and loads cheaper then to call a plumber in.
5. Do not hang clothes on the pipes in your basement! Wet clothes can be extremely heavy and can accelerate wear and tear on the pipes.
6. Look for plumbing services that guarantee their plumber’s work with a warranty of about a year. Quality plumbers believe that their work will last, and investing in an experienced plumber will save you money and headaches down the road.
7. Go tankless!
Tankless water heaters are great options as they are both fast and efficient. They can provide hot water at a rate of five gallons per minute, they can be 24% to 34% more energy efficient than a traditional heating boiler, and they have a life expectancy of at least 20 years.
8. Shut off outdoor faucets during the winter
Make sure to turn off the water from inside too! This will prevent your hoses and water supply from freezing.
9. Do not flush ‘flushable’ baby wipes! They do not break down as easily as toilet paper, no matter what the label says. The same goes for paper towels and certain hygiene products.
10. You will have to do the cleanup, so plan ahead. For serious repairs, your pipes may not be in an ideal location. That means the plumber may have to rip through a wall or floor, and if this happens you may be responsible for cleanup. Make sure to ask if this is a possibility when you schedule your consultation.
Next time you call for plumbing services, or better yet, before, keep these 10 tips in mind.